≡ Menu

DOH-8: ‘Firecracker injuries down by 14% in Eastern Visayas’

TACLOBAN CITY – Firecracker-related injuries during the holiday season have decreased by 14 percent in Eastern Visayas with the Department of Health Regional Office 8 (DOH-8) reporting only 6 cases as of Thursday, January 2, compared to the same period last year with 43 cases. They have also recorded a significant downtrend of cases in the last 4 years.

The incidents were reported in Dulag, Leyte, Rosario, Northern Samar, Oras, Balangkayan, and Borongan all in Eastern Samar, and Daram, Samar.

All of the victims sustained minor injuries, including four males and 2 females, whose age ranges from 10-29.

DOH 8 Information Officer John Paul Roca said 4 suffered from eye injuries and 2 cases for blast or burn without amputation.

He added that a 12-year old girl was referred to Eastern Visayas Regional Medical Center in Tacloban City due to an eye injury caused by ‘kwitis’.

The official shared that there were no stray bullet incidents, no amputations, and no ingestions recorded.

He has attributed the ‘positive’ development on their intensified information drive against illegal distributors of firecrackers and pyrotechnic devices, as well as the weather condition in the region. 

“There are few illegal sellers this year so the public had lesser access to firecrackers,” he noted. 

Roca disclosed that they would continue to monitor the incidents while Code White Alert is up until 5:59 A.M. on Jan 6.

Meanwhile, PLtCol. Bella Rentuaya, Police Regional Office 8 information officer, said the celebration of the Yuletide Season in the region has been generally peaceful with no untoward incident reported. By Marie Tonette Grace Marticio



WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com