TACLOBAN CITY – The Department of Health (DOH-8) has confirmed another coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) case in Eastern Visayas bringing the total number to seven.
Out of 35 swab samples sent to Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (VSMMC) in Cebu City, one turned out to be positive.
She is now Patient EV 7; and she is a 25-year old female from Burauen, Leyte. She is a niece of Patient EV 5 who also resides in the same municipality.
DOH-8 regional director Minerva Molon said Patient EV 7 started to manifest symptoms such as cough and sore throat on April 18. She is now isolated in their Municipal Isolation Unit where she is closely monitored by the Leyte Provincial Health Office for her possible transfer to Burauen District Hospital.
Of the seven confirmed cases, only Patient EV 7 has not yet been referred to Eastern Visayas Regional Medical Center (EVRMC) in Tacloban City where COVID-19 patients in the region are admitted.
Director Molon clarified that the case in Burauen town is locally acquired but not yet considered as a community transmission.
“This is not yet a community transmission kasi naidentify pa natin kung sino ang pinanggalingan,” she explained.
Two villages in said town where Patient EV 5 and Patient EV 7 reside are still under modified lockdown, while the municipality is under restrictive community quarantine.
The official added that this may not affect the general community quarantine being implemented in Leyte province since there are only two cases recorded so far. Meanwhile, 133 swab samples were sent sent to VSMMC Friday, April 24, under the 12th batch of specimens and gathered from the contact tracing conducted in Tarangnan, Samar where Patient EV 6 was recorded and other areas in the region. By Marie Tonette Marticio